The start of a new season means it’s time to take a step back and reassess our skin routine. For glowing, dewy and most importantly, healthy skin this summer, make sure you avoid these 10 bad habits:
- Forgetting your neck: It’s easy to focus on slathering your face with moisturizers and serums only to forget one other important body part – your neck. Some of the most visible signs of aging can show here, so it’s important to take care of it just as you would your face.
- Overexfoliating: We all want to show off squeaky-clean, smooth skin this summer, but avoid going overboard with harsh cleaning. Overexfoliating can actually worsen your skin’s natural production of oil and cause breakouts by spreading bacteria. Save exfoliating for once or twice a week – the rest of the time, use a gentle cleanser.
- Using an old foundation brush: When was the last time you cleaned your brushes? Forgetting to clean them can lead to clogged pores and even infections. Try this easy way to clean them.
- Sleeping with makeup on: This is a given, but it’s easy to fall back into a rut as you settle into a routine. Take the changing of a seasons as a time to remind yourself to always go to bed with a clean face!
- Forgetting SPF: Some of you live in climates where you barely see any sun during spring – but just because you can’t see the sun doesn’t mean your skin can’t feel its rays. Keep your skin healthy by alwaysincorporating sun protection to your skin routine. With the sunny days ahead, this is even more important!
- Staying up too late: Lack of sleep can lead to stress and tiredness, both which can cause your skin to act up. Sleep is the time when your body repairs the damage it encounters during the day, so make sure you are giving your skin ample time to recover.
- Being stuck to your phone: In case you need a reminder, here’s why your phone is actually one big, nasty germfest.
- Forgetting your eyes: The skin around your eyes is much thinner and delicate than the rest of your face, so it’s important to pay them special care. Don’t assume that eye cream is for old ladies – here’s why.
- Piling on the products: More doesn’t always equal better when it comes to your skin. Not only can ingredients in some products cancel each other out, but piling on too many products can actually have an adverse affect. Instead, try giving your skin time to breathe and stick the most minimal regime for a few days. Your pores will thank you.
- Skipping the moisturizer: A lot of people think that because warmer temperatures can be less drying than the winter cold, they can skip moisturizer. This is false! Instead of ditching your moisturizer altogether, find a lighter formula with SPF to protect your skin for summer. Your skin can always use the protection, no matter how humid or hot the weather.
Are you guilty of any of these bad skin habits? Which ones are you going to try to break before summer?
Photo credit: Dior Addict