This past week brought a great deal of turmoil and devastation to the world. It’s been hard not to be sucked in by the news every second. But with this unrest has been something powerful–empathy has risen and our world has united. Though times like these can seem hopeless, we should never lose hope. We should remember that our voices, our actions and our minds can all make an impact, whether in the life of one person or in the lives of many.
We often can’t make a difference though if we don’t put life into perspective AND believe in ourselves, our strengths. If you’re ever second guessing yourself, it’s always motivating to remember some of the world’s greats, that weren’t solely creators, thought leaders and action takers, but also I’d argue, wordsmiths. Here are 10 inspirational quotes from brilliant minds that will make you think and maybe even find the courage in yourself to move forward and conquer.
1. “All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed–only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.” – Nikola Tesla
2. “One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go.” – Sheila Murray Bethel
3. “Hatred is not capable of doing away with difficulties. A division of hearts cannot overcome difficulty. Only love is able to overcome.” – Pope Francis
4. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” – Charles Darwin
6. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
7. “The great thing about obstacles is that they cause you to identify with other groups of people who are facing obstacles.” – Gloria Steinem
8. “The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.” – David Foster Wallace
9. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” – Malala Yousafzai
10. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” – Edwin Hubbell Chapin