Facial mists are having their moment right now, promising anything from a fresh face to long lasting makeup and even relief from the sun on hot festival days. But what’s really in these mystery products and how different are they really from just spritzing your skin with plain ol’ h2o? Today I’m breaking down 7 popular facial mists so you can see which—if any—are right for you.
While some facial mists serve similar functions as setting sprays, many of these mists aren’t necessarily designed to keep your makeup in place. A lot of times they do that too (just like the Pixi + Supergoop below), but often times the purpose is more to hydrate and liven up skin.
1. Pixi by Petra Hydrating Milky Mist – This mist promises an extra dose of hydration with hyaluronic acid as a main ingredient. It also contains black oat, provitamin A, and linoleic acid (a fatty acid often in skincare for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties). This mist is formulated for use prior to makeup application, priming the skin for a pro quality makeup look.
2. Evian Mineral Water Spray – When a water brand is making your skincare product, you know it really is all about the water. This product doesn’t contain loads of extra ingredients, in fact, it just contains mineral water, intended to give you a midday makeup refresh and dose of hydration. Think of this less like a skincare treatment and more like a quick dry skin and sunburn soother. It might seem TOO simple, but reviewers have been backing it up ever since it came out.
3. Mario Badescu Facial Spray With Aloe Herbs & Rosewater is another rose beauty product also containing aloe and herbal extracts, making for one amazing scent. You can tell from that trio that it’s meant to be soothing, and it’s made for both before makeup application and throughout the day when you need to freshen up. Plus, you can use it on dry hair to give it a boost. You can also use it before bed (after cleansing) to wake up feeling just as refreshed. The bonus is that it smells amazing.
4. Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Spray – This is one product that is meant to be 1) a setting spray (to use directly after finishing your look), 2) a hydrating refresh, 3) protection from the sun (with SPF 50). Basically, if you spend a lot of time outside, this 3-in-1 has you covered. It’s formulated with ingredients meant to hydrate, set, reduce shine, protect against UV, and leave you with a matte finish, in one handbag staple.
5. Amore Pacific Skin Energy Hydration Delivery System – The biggest splurge on the list by far, this mist is supposed to be longer lasting than many others, though you can still re-apply throughout the day. It smells fresh, offers up a moisture boost, tones and energizes, and some say clears complexion too. It also contains mineral blends, and antioxidant rich ingredients.
Have you tried a facial mist before? Was it worth the splurge for you?