Ever wonder why some girls seem to have the perfect hair without even trying? Maybe they know something we don’t, or maybe they just have good genes. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t make the battle with the brush every morning any easier. But here’s some surprising news — our hair habits may be what’s preventing us from the glossy locks of our dreams.
If you read my post on how to prevent oily hair, you’re probably up to speed on a few healthy-hair secrets, but there are still other hair rituals that may be under your radar. Read my tips below for 5 bad hair habits you’ll want to remove from your routine ASAP…
1. Towel drying and handling your hair when wet: Towel trying your hair can promote breakage, as can brushing your hair or handling it roughly when wet. This is because wet hair is more prone to breakage. To remedy this, swap your towel for a t-shirt when drying your hair; this is gentler and leads to smoother locks. If you need to detangle while wet, opt for a wide toothed comb instead of a brush.
2. Turning up with heat without protection: We all know by now that using the curler or flat iron too often will fry out your hair. Instead of suffering the consequences of heat-treated hair, use a heat protectant before styling or blow-drying hair. Spritzing on a little of this product will help your strands beat the heat. Additionally, never turn your tools up to the hottest setting—medium will get the job done with a lot less damage.
3. Blow drying hair without knowing the right way: Yes, there’s a right way to dry your hair! According to Prevention, you should wait until your hair is at least 70% dry before using the dryer. Another trick is to dry from roots to ends in small sections for faster drying and a smooth styling. Never leave your dryer on one section of hair (no matter how quickly you want to be out the door!)—that adds too much heat.
4. Brushing your hair from the roots down: When brushing, you should start toward the bottom and brush down, moving upward only when you notice no tangles in the previous section. If you start brushing at your roots, you’ll have to fight through more tangles to get to the bottom, thus promoting breakage and weak hair.
5. Wearing that pony too tight: Braids or ponytails should be worn loosely in order to keep smooth, healthy looking hair. Tight ponies cause temporary damage, like broken strands, which can become a permanent problem after prolonged use. If a pony is your go to, try switching up your positioning every now and then, or opting for a hair tie that’s a bit more gentle.
Were these hair habits surprising to you? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
Warning: file_get_contents(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22
Warning: file_get_contents(http://urls.api.twitter.com/1/urls/count.json?url=http://michellephan.com/5-major-hair-mistakes-you-didn-t-know-you-were-making/): failed to open stream: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22