Sure, we obsess over our face because it’s the first thing we see when we look in the mirror. However, the skin on the rest of our bodies not only takes up much more space but is equally important! Skin, our protective barrier, needs to be cared for and it doesn’t stop with face wash – it goes head to toe. From basic tips for daily care to treatments for specific problems, it’s time for a little skin care 101.
Basic Body Skin Care
Just like our face, the skin on our body can suffer the effects of daily life. Anything from hormones to gym sweat seshes to the products we use will affect its health and appearance. Thus, a good cleanse, exfoliation and hydration are all essential to keeping the skin on your arms, back, shoulder, legs (you get the idea) healthy and glowing! Here are my tips:
- Get a good cleanse. If you simply swipe a bar of soap over the main parts of your body and rinse, your routine is probably a bit too basic. Make sure to cleanse thoroughly (but gently) to remove dirt, oil and impurities.
- Two or three times per week, switch to an exfoliating body wash like Clinique Sparkle Skin Body Exfoliator (good for sensitive skin) or add in a scrub to eliminate dead skin cells and start afresh.
- Get a good rinse. Once you’ve finished applying all products in the shower, including those for your hair, it’s time to rinse everything off to make sure nothing sneaks out of the shower with you!
- Moisturize daily. Once your skin is cleansed, rinsed and dry, it’s time to moisturize. Incorporating a moisturizing body lotion into your post-shower regimen will ensure that the skin gets the same hydration your face does during your morning skin care routine.
Dry Skin, Breakouts and Treatments
If you’ve noticed your skin is suffering from extreme dryness, acne or any other skin care issue, sometimes the routine above isn’t enough. Getting to the root of the problem will help you solve it, and then you can work on maintaining healthy skin with your regular routine.
- Check your products. If you have sensitive skin, your body wash or lotion could be too harsh or contain chemicals that you’re reacting to. Stop using products and phase them back in one by one to see if you can pinpoint the issue, or see a dermatologist if it’s severe. Even other products you use in the shower, like shampoo and conditioner, could be the culprits – like I said above, making sure you get a good rinse is key, some areas are hard to reach!
- Check your actions. If you notice that you break out more during weeks you’ve logged countless hours at the gym, perhaps you need a more thorough cleanse directly after the workout. Sweating while sleeping or oily sheets from daily use could also cause issues while you catch your Zzz’s. Analyze your actions to see if there’s a cause that you can take care of.
Now, you may need to treat issues with products designed to target specific problems:
- Treat dry, flaky skin. Treat extremely dry skin by replacing a mild moisturizer with something more heavy-duty, such as Alba Botanica or Mario Badescu’s Super Rich Olive Body Lotion for fast results. You can also tweak your routine to include a body wash that not only exfoliates but hydrates. (Whish promises to do it all without chemicals).
- Treat body breakouts. Breakouts and acne are definitely not just a face issue. Body acne can be just as frustrating a problem and acne body wash is a simply way to start finding solutions and it’s easy to incorporate into your current routine.
- Work with sensitive skin. Those with sensitive skin will know right away because there’s a plethora of products that are simply too harsh. Learn to find the right products to use for sensitive skin and you’ll do yourself a major favor.
Do you have a body skin care routine? Let everyone know your secrets!
Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Couldn't resolve host name in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22
Warning: file_get_contents(http://urls.api.twitter.com/1/urls/count.json?url=http://michellephan.com/body-skin-care-tips/) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22