There are so many products on the market today that promise to grow and strengthen your lashes, but some of them can have some disturbing side effects (i.e. permanent eye discoloration). They can also get pricey! That’s why I wanted to share this DIY eyelash serum with you – it’s all-natural and only made with two ingredients: castor oil and sweet almond oil.
Castor oil is a fatty vegetable oil full of Omega 6 fatty acids, vitamin E and proteins. Because of its smooth and mild texture, it’s easily absorbed into the hairshaft and locks in nutrients. Castor oil been used for centuries for hair growth – in fact, ancient Egyptian men used to rub it into their scalps to prevent baldness!
*Funny fact: Parents used to give children small doses of castor oil as a natural laxative. In some drugstores, you might still have to wander to the digestive aid aisle to find it!
Sweet Almond Oil is another natural oil that is a fantastic source of monosaturated fats, vitamin E, magnesium and calcium. When applied to your eyelashes, it moisturizes the hair follicles and can prevent them from falling out.
Vitamin E: If you happen to have vitamin E capsules in your house, you can squeeze some into the serum for an extra boost. I’ve already talked about the benefits vitamin E can have for your skin, but this powerful antioxidant can also have the same moisturizing effects on your lashes.
- Pure, cold-pressed castor oil
- Sweet almond oil (or olive oil, if you are allergic)
- Vitamin E (optional)
- Small re-sealable container
- Clean mascara wand
- At night, pour eqal parts castor oil and sweet almond oil into the small container. Mix well. (If using vitamin E, squeeze one capsule into the mixture). Avoid over-applying the serum because it can weigh down your lashes.
- Dip a clean mascara wand into the mixture and gently brush onto lashes from root to tip. You can also use a Q-tip to brush the serum across your lash line instead.
- Seal the bottle for future use
- Get some beauty sleep.
- Wake up and wash off.
Do this for a couple of weeks and you should start noticing stronger, healthier lashes!
Have you ever used castor oil or sweet almond oil in your beauty routine? Tell me in the comments