Each day it’s getting a little sunnier and little warmer outside. It’s nice to spend this time outdoors, and while it’s also nice to get a little Vitamin D for your skin from Mr. Sun, what’s not nice are those painful sunburns you’re often left with as souvenirs.
Sunburns can be annoying, painful, and peel-y, and once you have one, they tend to be hard to forget about until they fade away. Your skin needs a little TLC when it’s burned. Here are some of my sunburn soothing tips to help out when your golden glow is more of rosy red…
- Wear loose clothing. Your skin is trying to breathe and heal when it’s burned, and your layers of skin need to be able to peel and rejuvenate with ease. Wearing constrictive clothing is both uncomfortable and counter-productive to the healing process.
- Drink tons of water. You need to hydrate extra well to compensate for the dryness in your skin.
- Aloe, aloe, aloe. Aloe is your best friend when you’re burned! It’s a super soother that you can apply for both instant and long-term burn relief.
There are a lot of different ways that people like to use aloe. You can use it alone or blended with other beneficial ingredients. Click here for a cool idea (literally!) that involves the freezing of aloe in ice cube trays, and below is a DIY soothing concoction that uses some coconut oil!
- 3-4 in piece off an aloe vera plant, sliced in half
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, in liquid form
- 1/2 – 1 tsp raw honey or propolis
- Apply the three ingredients as separate layers; first, apply the aloe. Next, apply the coconut oil, and finally, apply the honey or propolis.
- Wear the mixture to bed and wake up to much happier skin!
Think of your burn as your skin asking–or yelling at–you to please wear more sunscreen and be more careful with your time spent catching rays!
Do you burn easily?