I love a great lipcolor as much as the next girl, but reapplying every thirty minutes… not so much. Long-wear lipsticks can only do so much, and long-wear formulas tend to be drying. In order to extend the life of your lipcolor and lock it place in all night long, provisions must be made. Follow these steps and kiss reapplying goodbye.
- Scrub – the key to an even and lasting lipstick application is a good base. Lipstick won’t stick to dry, flakey lips. Exfoliate with a gentle scrub to remove any dry skin. Keep reading for an easy DIY lip scrub!
- Prep – now that your lips are smooth and soft, seal it in with lip balm. Allow the lip balm to sink in for a few minutes before moving on to the next step. I usually do this first, apply my makeup, and then finish with lipcolor.
- Fill – line and fill in your lips with a lip liner that matches your natural lipcolor. This creates a base for the lipstick to cling to and using lip liner close to your natural color prevents visible contrast between your liner shade and your lipstick shade.
- Apply – apply, blot, repeat. In a pinch, just doing this step will help extend the life of your lipstick. Apply a coat of lipstick, blot with a tissue and apply once more.
- Seal – set the color in place with a light dusting a translucent powder and you’re out the door (feel free to leave the lipstick behind)!
And now for that DIY Lip Scrub I promised…
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (granulated sugar will work too, but brown sugar is gentler)
- 2 Tablespoons honey (olive oil will work too, but honey is naturally more hydrating)
- Mix the ingredients together and gently rub it on your lips in circular motions.
- Rinse it off with a wet washcloth and warm water. Pat dry. And finish with lip balm.
- Save the leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it again.
Do you have any other tips to making lipstick last? Share them in the comments section!
Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: Couldn't resolve host name in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22
Warning: file_get_contents(http://urls.api.twitter.com/1/urls/count.json?url=http://michellephan.com/make-your-lipcolor-last-all-night-long/) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/miche056/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22