Keeping in line with this week’s prom theme, today I wanted to share some tips on how to make your makeup last throughout the night. It’s so frustrating when you take hours getting ready for an event only to look in the mirror a few hours later and see your lipstick smeared, eye shadow smudged and face all shiny. The worst! Especially when it comes to prom, where you’ll most likely be working up a sweat showing off your killer moves on the dance floor Not to fear, lovely subbies! I’ve created a special edition of my “out all night” makeup tips that’s perfect for prom, so you’ll look fresh and pretty all throughout this special night:
- Use primer: Primers save face – literally. To keep your face makeup from melting off, make sure to use a silicone-based primer before you apply foundation. Silicone is the key ingredient in most long-wearing formulas and will act as a barrier between heat and your skin. If you’d rather skip the primer, just find a foundation that has silicone in it instead. (For foundation application tips, check out these tips.)
- Powder perfection: Stick to powders when it comes to blush – cream versions will give you a nice dewy glow at first, but are more likely to melt off. After you’re done with your face, just seal off your look with a dusting of translucent powder.
- Prime time: Like face primer, eye shadow primer is a must! It will ensure that your painstakingly applied eye makeup does not melt off the minute you hit the dance floor. Make sure to dab some on your bottom lid as well if you’re going to be rocking bottom liner and shadow.
- Liquefy: The waxes in pencil liners are more likely to melt, so I would recommend sticking to liquid liner. Nobody wants raccoon eyes at the end of the night!
- Clear coat: You can use waterproof mascara for smudge-proof eyes, but a lot of people feel like the formulas are a bit too drying. Instead, try swiping a coat of clear mascara on top of any normal mascara to seal it in.
- Scrub it: Give your lipstick a smooth base to stick to by exfoliating your lips first. You can use a wet washcloth, soft toothbrush or my easy DIY lip scrub!
- Get balmy: Apply your favorite lip balm before you start doing your face makeup. Here’s why.
- Seal it: Seal off your lip color with a kiss – and some powder. Here are more detailed instructions.
And there you have it – now you can go to prom and dance the night away without having to worry about your makeup melting off! For some prom inspiration to hold you over before my new tutorial goes up on Friday, check out some of my previous prom videos here and here.
What was your favorite memory from prom? For all my high school subbies, what makeup look are you thinking of doing for prom this year?