As I get older, I become less and less afraid to take risks and try new things – especially when it comes to style. Whether it’s a bikini or one piece, there’s no reason to stick to what you’ve worn in the past. There’s no better time than now to try a daring new summer look, even if it does mean flaunting a few out of the ordinary tan lines throughout the season.
1. Mesh Contrast – A bikini comprised of alternating mesh like the RVCA Cross Back Bikini is sexy without quite bearing it all.
3. Strappy Bandeau – Summer’s most fun colors contrast with jet black in this bustier-style one piece.
4. Kitten Fever – Like the pieces in my kawaii fashion roundup, there’s nothing wrong with adding a little cute to your daily style! And what’s cuter than kitties AND cupcakes like the ones in this ModCloth bikini? Kitties and cupcakes displayed on a retro style swimsuit, of course.
5. Color Block – Taking color block to a new level, this Brazil Bandeau is cut out on the sides and back. Sure, your tan will also be a color block, but it’s worth it to be able to flaunt this on the beach.
7. Versatile One Piece – With the option to go straps, halter, or without, this Minkpink one piece has it all: a supportive underwire busy, mesh side panels and a dreamy floral pattern. Who says one-pieces are boring?
8. Negative Space – Another tempting one piece for all you bikini lovers, the angular cutouts of a swimsuit like this Shirred Waist Swimsuit offer a modern, geo-inspired twist on a classic ruched style.
9. Sporty Spice – Sporty two pieces aren’t just for swim meets. If athletic is your go-to swimsuit style, amp it up with a killer color combo (peach and mint, anyone?) and fun text or graphics like this Mermaid bikini.
Out of the box swimsuit styles, yay or nay?
PS: See which style “suits” you best in my swimsuit guide.