September style is all about transitioning. While fall fashion might feel like it’s in full swing as soon as the last Labor Day BBQ ends, it is still technically summer for a few more weeks. It can be tricky transitioning your wardrobe while it’s still warm out, but not to fear – these five early fall trends will help you achieve the perfect balance…
1. Pop of leather. Add a touch of edge to any outfit with a pop of leather – my favorite way is to rock a pair of leather booties! Booties are the perfect staple to help transition your summer wardrobe to fall. They’re versatile and go with anything – wear them with skirts, dresses, shorts and more.
2. Peeking Layers. Wearing a sweater over your dress helps you make the most out of your summer wardrobe and keeps you toasty on chillier days. I like the idea of dressing it up a bit by folding the collar over or letting your shirt cuffs show – it’s all in the details!
3. Shorts Over Tights. Another great way to transition any wardrobe from summer to fall is to simply add a pair of tights to your go-to summer outfit. The key is to find a sheer pair like Miss Alexa Chung in the photo above. If you’re feeling daring, find a cute pair with a fun pattern like polka dots!
4. The Pleated Maxi. Just because it may be time to retire your sheer, pastel maxis doesn’t mean the maxi skirt trend is over and done with. In fact, a pleated maxi in a black, metallic, or classic fall color (like this burnished orange one) paired with earth-toned neutrals makes for the perfect, put-together autumn ensemble.
5. Go a Little Grunge. Just a little I love the edgy look that comes when pairing leather or torn denim with plaid or even ‘90s-style florals. Mix and match your favorite patterns for a look that’s bold enough for fall but casual enough for back to school season. Check out how I channeled my rebellious side in one of my chic back to school looks here.
Would you try any of these looks this month? Share your favorite fall trends in the comments below!