There are more ways than one to incorporate the beauty that are galaxies into your life. Star ceilings, DIY galaxy artwork and pastel makeup looks for when you want to embody celestial beauty are just a few ways. Another, though, is with our wardrobe. You can purchase nebula leggings and star-splattered bags, but why not create an original galaxy sweater yourself? Check out this DIY galaxy sweater tutorial below for steps and inspiration for bringing the universe to you in style.
What you need: a few small bottles of fabric paint, duct tape, sponges, a fine-tipped brush and a spray bottle filled with water. For the galaxy, we chose black, purple, blue, pink, silver, and white paint – you don’t need a lot. You’ll also need a plain sweater or shirt. 100% cotton works best, and be sure to preshrink your top by washing and drying beforehand.
- Using tape, cut three 1/2 inch wide strips of tape and form a triangle. The triangle can be as big or small as you like, and you can make any shape you want. Just be sure the edges of the tape are secured well so that your lines stay sharp. You can use masking, painter’s, or duct tape.
- Moisten your sponge.
- Begin with your darkest paint shade and apply a light wash of color. The harder you press, the more color will transfer. It’s best to stipple lightly and layer to get the best look. On a gray sweatshirt, use a lot of black to form a base.
- Continue layering the next darkest shade (here it was purple) and keep blending.
- Next layer on your mid-tones. This means taking the blue and magenta shades and stippling them throughout the triangle. You want to get a thin layer outside the triangle’s tape line because it creates a cool effect.
- Dip a fine-tipped brush in white paint for some detail work. By carefully flicking your finger onto the paint brush you will create the look of stars. Have fun with it!
- Set the look with a glitter fabric spray and you’re done! Just wait until the paint it completely dry, then slowly peel the tape off.
What’s your favorite things to DIY?
Warning: file_get_contents(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/customer/www/michellephan.com/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22
Warning: file_get_contents(http://urls.api.twitter.com/1/urls/count.json?url=https://michellephan.com/diy-galaxy-sweater/): failed to open stream: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/customer/www/michellephan.com/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 22
Warning: file_get_contents(http://graph.facebook.com/?ids=https://michellephan.com/diy-galaxy-sweater/): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request in /home/customer/www/michellephan.com/public_html/content/themes/michellephan2014/functions/sharecounts.php on line 42